A representative from Bentalls visited yesterday to talk to each of us about our ideas and plans for what we were going to produce for the September.
I decided to display these prints onto hessian by sewing ‘free-hand’ around all edges. I wasn’t too bothered about the stitches looking even, as I wanted to achieve a ‘shabby’ chic look. These were then framed behind glass and finished with a black frame. Feedback from Bentalls was good but it was suggested that I could try displaying prints on a canvas rather than behind glass. This would then mean the customer could touch and feel the product which may be more sellable..?. I will experiment further over the summer.
I then decided to experiment using a different coloured threads sewn throughout the designs. Some have worked well but I think I need to keep my threads finer as a heavy thread make the finished image look ‘clumsy’. To take these designs one step further I would like to use fine beads incorporated within the threads which may work well. I would also like to try using metallic threads alongside the black ink and adding fine gold or silver beads to accentuate elements in the design.
‘Greg Dunn creates traditional Japanese and Chinese ink drawings, Dunn’s paintings show an almost shocking contrast between pastel backgrounds and stunning black or white neuron-shaped skeins that splatter into the foreground with the urgency of captured lightning.
Look again, and you may think you are looking at an underwater scene – neurons like octopi dancing together, or regions of the brain like blooming deep-sea clams or curling sea snails. The viewer may forget momentarily, while seized by the aesthetics, that these are artistic depictions of what happens in very tiny spaces of our own heads when we think, feel, and perceive.’
I really like Dunn’s work and having had a look at some of my ink drawings, can draw on similarities of style in his work and mine.’
I have spent some time experimenting with ink on a range of different materials to create some underwater pond scenes.
The second image reminds me of O’keefe’s work – subtly merging colours together to create movement of a natural form.
Some of these designs have then been worked on top with my original lino cuts of natural forms. I wasn’t too sure how this would work but I am happy with the effective. It creates another underwater plant as a ‘repetitive print’. The second image from last is the back of the last image – both as effective as each other!
O’keeffe’s style of painting and drawing is one which I have found myself drawing inspiration from.
‘O’Keeffe began working primarily in oil, a shift away from having worked primarily in watercolor in the earlier 1910s. By the mid-1920s, O’Keeffe began making large-scale paintings of natural forms at close range, as if seen through a magnifying lens. In 1924 she painted her first large-scale flower painting Petunia, No. 2, which was first exhibited in 1925.’.
Photocopy of original ink drawing manipulated to create different tones then a combination of green and brown ink used on top.
Another photocopy of an ink drawing. Different coloured threads have been sewn throughout the drawing to recreate under water plants. Ink has then been placed at the end of the image and then encouraged to ‘run’ throughout the image. I particularly like the way different coloured inks have merged together while ‘running’ through the image.
Ink and bleach drawing
Simple ink drawings of natural forms
An idea for framed prints sewn on to raffata – I really like it!
I would like to produce at least two glass pices for the Bentalls project, so have spent the last few days familiarising myself with the different processes and techniques. For these smaller pieces I have mainly used glass paint and I think the result is less effective. The paint appears too thick for these designs.
I then went on to produce 2 largers piece of glass where I combined glass paint with small pieces of sheet glass. This worked better but I was still not happy with the overall result. I wanted to achieve a more defined design.
So I went on to choose a more simpler design which I think has worked well. I also decided to slump this piece so it is able to stand. There are still elements I would like to change but I am glad I have had the opportunity to experiment so I can hopefully produce some really beautiful pieces over the summer break.
An example of a wallpaper that could possibly be used for digital project.
Mark raised the pixels and created a blur effect then added the original image on top. I quite like the result.
My plan for the Easter break is to play around on Illustrator before I decide what image I will use for final piece. Mark is keen for my to blow up one of my chosen designs and have it plastered on to a wall.